- 2 tablespoons coconut or extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 heaping teaspoon of fresh, grated ginger (or ¼ teaspoon of powdered ginger)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- pinch cayenne, optional
- 3 cups organic carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups low sodium, gluten-free broth of choice
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped Italian parsley or chive for garnish
- Lemon wedges on the side
Set a soup pot on medium heat and warm the oil. Add the onions; sauté and stir occasionally until they start to brown — about 15 minutes.
Add the grated ginger, garlic, cumin, curry powder, turmeric, and cayenne. Cook for about a minute, and stir to make sure the onions are coated with the spices.
Add the carrots, vinegar and broth, and stir. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to simmer, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
Working in batches, pour the soup into a blender. Remove the center of the lid to let steam escape, and cover the whole lid with a towel (hot liquid tends to erupt) — blend on high. Puree until smooth. Add a little extra water if needed to reach desired consistency.
Return the soup to the pot and warm gently until hot.
Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with lemon wedges on the side. A drizzle of nice olive oil or pumpkin oil would be good here too. Serve with a side salad and protein of choice.
Need some more ideas and recipes?
Just follow the link below, and you’ll get instant access to 3 of my “DIY and Delicious” Recipes:
- Coconut Cashew Milk
- Balsamic Sherry Vinaigrette
- Coconut Cinnamon Granola