Makes 1 quart.
- Equipment: you will need a blender (or "Bullet" or "Ninja"), as well as fine strainer or nut milk bag
- 1/2 cup turmeric root, roughly chopped (scrub well with a vegetable brush and rinse)
- One two-inch piece of ginger root, roughly chopped (scrub well with a vegetable brush and rinse)
- One big pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups filtered water
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- juice of 1 lime
- OPTIONAL: a dash of cayenne, if you want an even spicier version
In a blender, combine the turmeric, ginger, and ½ cup of water. Blend on high speed until the mixture resembles a fine puree.
Pour the puree into a pot and add remaining water and honey. Add the ground pepper as well.
Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Turn off heat and add lime juice.
Allow mixture to cool. Then, strain the mixture: run it through a fine sieve, or use a nut milk bag to filter out the pulp. Discard or compost the pulp.
Store the filtered liquid in a mason jar in the refrigerator until ready to use. Serve it chilled in a small glass, or heat some up in a pot for an evening toddy. You can also serve it as a wellness "shot" in your favorite shot glass.
Feel free to add a drop of two of liquid stevia if you want a bit more sweetness.