- 2 14-ounce blocks extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 leaves of lacinato or dino kale, de-stemmed and sliced into ribbons
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- a big pinch of smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- A big pinch of ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 4-6 gluten-free tortillas, warmed
- Garnishes: salsa, chopped avocado, plant-based cheese, sliced scallions, and hot pepper sauce (optional)
Place tofu on a plate lined with several layers of paper towels (to absorb liquid). Using a fork or potato masher, smash tofu.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and peppers; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3-4 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, turmeric, and pepper. Stir to coat the vegetables with the spices, and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the tofu and stir. Add beans; cook, stirring often, until heated through, 1-2 minutes.
Stir in the kale and cook until the greens are wilted. Remove from heat.
Stir in the cilantro, and season with salt and pepper.
Serve scramble with tortillas and garnishes, as desired.