- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed (stems removed), plus a few sprigs for garnish
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup marcona almonds or pistachios
- Juice from one lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- a couple of tablespoons of water
- OPTIONAL: 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 zucchini, processed through a spiralizer
- a drizzle of avocado oil, for sautéing the zucchini
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
First, prepare the zucchini. Either purchase zucchini noodles from the store, or process whole zucchini through a spiralizer at home. Cut off the ends, and run through the spiralizer according to instructions.
To a food processor, add the basil, garlic, nuts, lemon juice, nutritional yeast (if using), and sea salt. Process until a loose paste forms. Season to taste with sea salt and ground pepper.
Through the hole in the top of the food processor lid, stream in the olive oil a little at a time while blending. Pause to scrape down the sides as needed. Then add the water 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach desired consistency. Pour into a glass container with an airtight lid; the pesto should keep in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
To a large skillet, heat the avocado oil. Then, add the zucchini noodles. Sauté until crisp tender. Add the cherry tomatoes. Then, add a few tablespoons of the pesto. Stir gently until combined, and heated through, then pile onto a plate and enjoy.