- 1 cup farro (or you can use brown rice to make this recipe gluten free)
- 1 cup apple cider (or apple juice, plus 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar)
- 2 cups filtered water
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, more as needed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- a few tablespoons of hot water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup pistachio nuts, chopped
- A few handfuls of arugula
- Optional: 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of parsley and/or basil leaves, torn
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, torn
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped — or 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes... or both!
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced radish
- Flaky sea salt for finishing, like Jacobsen's Salt Co, made here in Oregon!
First, prepare the farro according to package instructions. I use the 10-Minute Farro (parboiled) from Trader Joe's, so it only takes... 10 minutes!
If using regular or parboiled farro, here's how to cook it: place in a medium saucepan along with the apple cider vinegar, filtered water and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer. Simmer until farro is tender and liquid evaporates — about 10 minutes if using parboiled (or about 30 minutes if using regular farro). If all the liquid evaporates before the farro is tender, add a little more water.
Let farro cool, then discard bay leaves.
NOTE: If using brown rice, cook according to package instructions, using filtered water only (no apple cider vinegar). Once cooked, set aside to cool.
While the farro is cooking, prepare the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the tahini, lemon juice, and granulated garlic. Whisk in a few tablespoons of hot water until the tahini is incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Then, whisk in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Pour some of the dressing into a large salad bowl. Add the cooked farro, chickpeas (if using), nutritional yeast, and chopped pistachios. Mix well with a rubber spatula.
To prep ahead: this salad base will keep for up to 4 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator (bring to room temperature before serving).
Just before serving, fold in the arugula, herbs, and tomatoes. Taste, and drizzle in more dressing if needed.
Garnish with the sliced radish, a sprinkle of nutritional yeast, and a few pinches of flaky sea salt. Enjoy!