- 1 (15-ounce/425-g) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise (I like Veganaise (regular or soy free) and Just Mayo — you’ll find these in the refrigerated section). If you’re never tried vegan mayo, you’re in for a treat!
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- a shake or two of red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 to 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon minced flat leaf parsley
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- a sprinkle of smoked paprika
- OPTIONAL — serve with sliced avocado
In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas with a potato masher until the beans are half-smashed and somewhat flaky in texture.
Next, add the celery, onion, olives, mayonnaise, garlic, mustard, pepper flakes, and lemon juice. Stir gently until combined.
Now, gently fold in the chopped herbs. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Enjoy with salad greens, scooped onto crackers, or tucked into a wrap or sandwich. Garnish with paprika, and serve with sliced avocado if desired.