It’s just after 7am on St. Patrick’s Day as I write this. And I’m reminded of a time years ago, where 7am in South Bend, Indiana found me scrambling with my friends to get to the bars to beat the line-up for green beer fueled festivities. Oh, college!
But wow. I mean, green beer??? Who thought of that one?
All that food coloring stayed in my system for days, if you know what I mean.
And now that I actually care about my health, I can only wonder what that was doing to my gut microbiome.
No more green beer for me.
It feels good to be up early this St. Patrick’s Day, starting my day out with things that actually make me feel good: meditation, hot water with lemon, doing a few stretches. Lighting a candle and sitting down to write to you.
Also: not drinking green beer.
Healthy Shamrock Shake
Instead, let’s celebrate with another one of my favorite St. Paddy’s Day traditions from the past: the Shamrock Shake.
Except this time, we’ll make a healthy version.
One with lots of greens, some healthy fat from avocado, and some peppermint to bring those Shamrock Shake vibes.
Plus, I like to pulse in some cacao nibs for that minty-chip texture.
And if you really want to take things up a notch and make it more like a treat, you can add chopped or grated dark chocolate on top.
Sure, this Shamrock Shake might taste like a treat, and that’s because it is… for your body.
Especially for those of us in peri+post menopause. Here’s why:
- Leafy greens deliver disease fighting antioxidants while supplying fiber for a healthy gut.
- Healthy fat is good for the skin, helps balance blood sugar and supports brain health.
- Peppermint is good for digestion.
- Matcha (green tea powder), if you choose to add it, is high in EGCG, an antioxidant that boosts metabolism and helps reduce risk for breast cancer.
- No refined sugar – which is a good thing, because we all know that’s not good for us. But refined sugar and sweeteners can be especially annoying because they can trigger hot flashes and mess with our gut health.
Sounds pretty great, right?
I hope you enjoy this healthy Shamrock Shake, and that you have a healthy and happy St. Paddy’s Day!
Want to eat more veggies… without going 100% plant based?
This free, downloadable PDF will help you get started on getting more veggies (and healthy plant foods) onto your plate so you can boost your health, improve digestion, and feel better in your body.