New on More Good Day Oregon: No-Bake Chocolate Hazelnut Energy Bites
This week on More Good Day Oregon, I made these yummy No-Bake Chocolate Hazelnut Energy Bites. Check out the video below as I make this recipe step-by-step.
The inspiration for these No-Bake Chocolate Hazelnut Energy Bites comes from a run-in our family had with Nutella over summer vacation. We were traveling around Croatia, and wanted to pick up some Nutella for our son and his buddy. But everything was sold out except this huuuuuge jar of Nutella, which we felt compelled to cart around with us from airbnb to airbnb.
The problem is, I ate way more than my fair share of that jar, and didn’t feel so great after eating a lot of it. So, I vowed to make a Nutella-inspired treat that’s much healthier, and delivers some extra fiber and protein, to boot.
These treats are excellent as snacks for school lunch-boxes. They’re also great as pre- or post-workout snacks for us grownups!
These delicious treats pack a serious nutritional punch. Here's the breakdown:
Dates — These provide natural sweetness, of course. But they're also high in fiber. In fact, three ounces of dates (about 5 medjool dates) provides nearly 30% of our daily requirement for fiber. Eating a high fiber diet helps regulate digestion, balance blood cholesterol, and reduce triglycerides. Dates are also high in calcium and phosphorus, which we need for healthy bones. (Source: Draxe.com).
Hazelnuts — Eating tree nuts such as almonds, walnuts, and hazelnuts can have a protective effect on our cardiovascular system. Nuts are a good, whole-food source of healthy monounsaturated fat. Hazelnuts also provide vitamin E and heart-healthy minerals such as copper and magnesium.
Cacao — Unsweetened cacao powder is high in antioxidants and heart-healthy minerals such as calcium and magnesium.
Flax seed — Flax is the #1 whole-food source of lignans, with 800 times more lignans than most other foods. This phytonutrient is associated with prolonged survival in cancer patients, especially breast cancer. Flax seeds may be beneficial in suppressing the growth of breast and prostate cancer cells in vitro. Combining flax with dietary fat restriction may have an even greater effect on prostate cancer.
Chia seed — The dates provide a lot of fiber to this recipe, but why not add more? Chia seed is a great way to add even more fiber to your diet.
Hemp seed — Hemp is yet another source of healthy fats, plus it's high in protein.
Ready to make these tasty treats?
Great! Just click on the green box at the end of this blog post.
BTW, you know what would be super yummy? Pair these energy bites with a swig of my Quickie Nut Milk.
Need more help connecting to your healthiest habits?
Upgrading your snacks is simply one of the tools you can use to cleanse and balance your body after an indulgent phase.
For a serious reboot, however, you're going to need to add a few more tools, practices, and recipes to the mix.
If you're looking for additional guidance and support for a healthier fall, consider signing up for my next group program, Camp Kale.
What the heck is Camp Kale?
Camp Kale is a 21-day healthy lifestyle program designed to help you reconnect with your healthiest habits, and re-balance the body after a loooooong indulgent summer.
Camp Kale is different than a typical detox, cleanse, or diet.
For starters, this is a flexible program, intended to meet you wherever you are on your wellness journey.
That's why you can choose-your-own-adventure, selecting from levels of light, medium, or hardcore.
The program is yours to modify, whether you want to cut back on refined sugar, eat healthier, drink less, lose some weight… or all of the above!
Overall, Camp Kale is a guided kickstart for a healthier lifestyle. You'll receive daily nutrition guidance, personalized support, and my tried-and-true blueprint for living the Camp Kale lifestyle during the program… and in the weeks and months ahead.
Here's what Camp Kale includes:
Camp Kale includes plenty of nutrition guidance, recipes, and personalized support to help you with a successful health kickstart:
- Camp Kale Resource Guide (PDF): Detailed instructions on how to set yourself up for an enjoyable and successful experience.
- Camp Kale Cookbook (PDF): More than 70 plant-inspired recipes for yummy smoothies + breakfast fare, salads, hearty entrees, snacks, and sauces.
- Camp Kale Day Planner + Journal (PDF): Gain clarity and focus for your goals with this handy tool.
- Weekly Meal Plans: I'll provide a sample meal plan, as well as a blank template if you want to mix-and-match the recipes.
- Shopping Lists: Grocery shopping is a snap with our handy master shopping list.
- Daily Email Coaching: Each weekday, you'll receive a special email providing healthy nutrition and lifestyle guidance.
- Audio Recordings: These are audio versions of the daily coaching emails. Super convenient for listening while driving, etc.
- Meditation Audios: Get grounded with special meditation audio recordings.
- Private 1-on-1 Coaching via Phone/Skype: This is your opportunity to ask questions or get personalized guidance. These complimentary sessions are 15-minutes, and can be easily booked online.
- Private Email Support: Don't feel like asking your question in person? No problem. Shoot me an email anytime during the program.
Want to find out more about Camp Kale? Awesome!
Just click here for details.