Please don't go cold turkey.
Unless you really like headaches.
If you drink caffeine regularly — and especially if you get headaches if you skip your daily hit — here's the trick to exiting gracefully before you start the detox:
- Day 1-3: drink half the amount of caffeine that you usually do. For example, if you make your own coffee, use 50/50 regular and decaf beans. If you get your coffee at a coffee shop, order half-decaf (or, “split shot” if you want to be cool and sound like a barista).
- Day 4-5: drink 25% the amount of caffeine.
- Day 6-7: try having a cup of green tea.
- Day 8: try having a cup of white tea. This has a tiny amount of caffeine.
- Day 9 and beyond: try naturally caffeine free, herbal tea such as cinnamon, licorice, rooibos, etc.
I know some of you hardcores out there will try going cold turkey. Which is fine (if you don’t mind headaches), but if the headaches become too crazy for you, please consider taking a more gradual approach.
Try cutting back gradually so that you’re caffeine free before you start Week 2 of the detox.
Remember, this doesn't have to be permanent. We're just embarking on a little health experiment to see how we feel after not being on caffeine for awhile.
Most people find that once they emerge from the initial detox-from-caffeine fog, their energy levels are more stable throughout the day, and they get a better night of sleep.