January is officially smoothie season — all of those new year's resolutions around eating healthy — but what happens if you start getting burned out on smoothies a few weeks into the new year? Well, today we're covering how to bust out of your smoothie rut. It's a thing!
First of all, we all get into ruts.
For starters, it's not necessarily a bad thing. Ruts are born out of daily habits that can ground us and keep us on a healthier path.
However, sometimes we take those daily habits a bit too far. In other words, we find that comfort zone and we set up permanent residence.
For example, we might start making the same Buddha Bowls or chili or Lentil Soup for dinner or lunch over and over again.
Or we put the same cardio workouts on repeat (I know I'm not the only one!).
And we can also find ourselves making the same smoothies each and every day.
But then we burn out. After a couple of weeks, we don't want to have that smoothie anymore. Or worse, we decide we don't want to have smoothies for a looooong time.
So let's talk about what we can do to make sure we can still get the health benefits of smoothies on a regular basis, without burning out.
In this week's blog post and video, we'll cover five tips (and a bonus tip) for bringing excitement and flavor back into your smoothie routine.
How to bust out of your smoothie rut: 5 tips
Watch the video
Let's take a sneak peek at this week's video:
- [3:19] Tip #1: Don't drink the same smoothie two or three days in a row (and why).
- [5:19] Tip #2: Do you even need to drink a smoothie every day? Here's why you might consider switching things up throughout the week.
- [6:23] Tip #3: Try changing your base ingredients, such as your liquid. Here are some flavorful options you might try.
- [9:58] Tip #4: Switch up the colors by incorporating different fruit combos.
- [12:49] Tip #5: Swap your usual greens for a non-green vegetables.
- [14:55] BONUS tip! Experiment with fresh herbs and dried spices. Hint: these foods are often rich in antioxidants, as well as new flavors.
Or listen to the audio
I hope this video helps you bring the magic back into your smoothie routine. If you need some ideas to get started, here are 5 rut-busting smoothies you could try:
- Fresh Start Smoothie
- Grapefruit and Greens Smoothie
- Strawberry Hemp Smoothie
- Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie
- Shamrock Shake Smoothie
My smoothie toolkit includes:
- The Vitamix 5200 — sure, there are fancier ones, but I bought this one when I was getting started and it's still going strong. I use it at least 1-2x/day!
- This is my go-to hemp seed: organic and non GMO.
- I love these whole flaxseeds from Bob's Red Mill — I grind them in a spice grinder and store in the fridge.
If you have any questions along the way, you can connect with me over on Instagram @mospo. I'd love to hear from you. Or better yet, tag me in a picture of your smoothie!
Wishing you peace, love and broccoli